1. The right as a defendant to be represented by counsel.
2. The right as a defendant to a continuance, if necessary, to obtain the services of counsel.
3. The right as a defendant to a continuance, if necessary, to obtain the appearance of witnesses to testify for and on your behalf and to have them subpoenaed if necessary. If after having been for a continuance to obtain counsel or arrange for witnesses you fail to do that, you may not be granted another continuance.
4.The rig as a defendant to enter a plea of "Guilty"; a plea of Not Guilty'; or a plea of "No Contest".
A. if a plea of 'GUILTY" is entered, the Magistrate will make inquiry of the facts and determine the penalty.
B. If a plea of " NOT GUILTY" is entered, the case will be continued to the next session at which time all witnesses will be sworn and testimony will be heard, after which the Magistrate will render a decision, testimony will be heard, after which the Magistrate will render a decision, testimony will be • heard
C. If a plea of "NO CONTEST" is entered, that plea will not be construed as an admission of any fact at Issue in the charge in any subsequent actions or proceeding whether civil or criminal. In the event of such a plea, the Magistrate will inquire into the facts and make a finding of guilty or not guilty and if guilty is found he shall fix the penalty.
D. If you are in doubt as to whether you are or are not guilty, the Court requests that you enter a plea of 'Not Guilty' and let the Village prove their case against you.
5. The right as a defendant to demand a trial by Jury In all cases involving a fine of more than $100.00 or jail sentence. If a trial by jury is demanded, the case must be transferred to the Hamilton County Court.
6. The right as a defendant to testify or not to testify in your own defense.
7. The light as a defendant to appeal, as prescribed by Ohio Statue.
If you are charged with minor traffic offense which required that you appear In Court, you must show proof of financial Responsibility. Financial Responsibility Is normally evidenced by a valid liability Insurance policy, a Financial Responsibility Bond, or a written statement from your insurance agent. Failure to show Financial Responsibility will result In a 90 day suspension of your right to drive and the impoundment of your license plates and automobile registration.
You can find out about license suspensions, how much you owe the BMV or just get a copy of your driving record at the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles: www.bmv.ohio.gov